How do I get my former status or adoption details verified?

How do I get my former status or adoption details verified?

If you are a former or current Extended Society Ward, ask your worker or Children’s Aid Society to provide a verification by sending an email to with your full name, date of birth, and former status. If you are an adopted youth, submit a copy of your adoption order by email to or by fax to 416-366-8317. If you do not have this document, contact the Ontario government to request a copy.
    • Related Articles

    • I'm eligible. How do I enroll?

      There are two steps to the ABI enrollment process: You must complete the online application form. Take your time to fill in the form carefully and accurately. If you’re a former Crown Ward, you must ask your former worker or Children’s Aid Society to ...
    • I filled out the application form but haven't received my welcome package in the mail. What do I do?

      Allow 2-3 weeks to receive your welcome package in the mail. If you have and you still have not received your benefit information, contact the OACAS ABI team at or 1-800-718-1797 x2133 to check on the status of your application. It’s ...
    • What does the plan cover?

      The Aftercare Benefits Initiative (ABI) provides comprehensive health benefits to former youth in care. The program’s benefits are delivered in two parts. Through Green Shield Canada, plan members are covered for a wide range of benefits and ...
    • Who is eligible for ABI?

      Eligible youth include: Former Crown wards or youth who were eligible to receive Continued Care and Support for Youth (CCSY) or Extended Care and Maintenance (ECM) and are between 21 and 25 years of age. This includes youth who: had Crown ward status ...
    • What if I live out of province?

      As long as you are a former Crown ward of an Ontario Children’s Aid Society, you are eligible. However, please advise us if you move!