I'm eligible. How do I enroll?

I'm eligible. How do I enroll?

There are two steps to the ABI enrollment process:

  1. You must complete the online application form. Take your time to fill in the form carefully and accurately.
  2. If you’re a former Crown Ward, you must ask your former worker or Children’s Aid Society to verify your information, by sending an email to abi@oacas.org with your full name, date of birth, and former status.
    If you’re an adopted youth, submit a copy of your adoption order by email to abi@oacas.org or by fax to 416-366-8317. If you do not have this document, contact the Ontario government to request a copy.

Once your application and verifying information have been received, your information will be submitted to Green Shield Canada and Shepell and you will receive a welcome package in the mail within 2-3 weeks.

    • Related Articles

    • I will be eligible but I`m not of age yet. When can I register?

      You can enroll in ABI up to one month before your eligible birthdate, however you will not become active in the program until you turn of age. Former youth in care become eligible at 21 and adopted youth are eligible at 18.
    • Are adopted youth eligible?

      Youth who were adopted on or after June 1, 2016 and are between 18 and 25 years of age are eligible for ABI, for a maximum of four consecutive years and as long as they do not have coverage elsewhere.
    • Who is eligible for ABI?

      Eligible youth include: Former Crown wards or youth who were eligible to receive Continued Care and Support for Youth (CCSY) or Extended Care and Maintenance (ECM) and are between 21 and 25 years of age. This includes youth who: had Crown ward status ...
    • Who is not eligible for ABI?

      Ineligible youth include those youth who: Were not eligible to receive CCSY or ECM; Are not between 21 and 25 years of age or 18 to 25 for adopted youth; Were adopted before June 1, 2016; Have benefit coverage under another health plan (e.g. a plan ...
    • What if my situation changes and I become eligible for another benefit plan?

      You must advise OACAS ABI if your circumstances change and you become eligible for health benefits under another plan. If you register for OW or ODSP, you will still be eligible for the counselling and life skills supports.